Friday, March 21, 2008

Pastah Disastah

So, I was being a little bit adventurous and decided to try some Angelhair pasta made from rice, rather than the usual wheat or semolina. Rice seemed innocent enough; a lot of Asian noodles are made from rice, and they are quite yummy.

Though I followed the cooking directions on the package precisely, the pasta turned out terribly. It was not very enjoyable to eat, and after sampling, I had to convince J to have a small serving for dinner so we wouldn't have to toss it all out.

When it was not quite al-dente, the Rice Angelhair tasted like uncooked rice. Thirty seconds later, it tasted like mushy rice (in a bad way). It was very glutinous, sticky, and the noodles wanted to break apart into hundreds of tiny pieces. This was not very conducive for tossing with sauce.. or eating.

I felt bad wasting so much, so I loaded it lots of tomato sauce, and more freshly cracked pepper and parmesan cheese than usual so that I could disguise the taste of the pasta itself. This is not one of my proudest cooking moments, but it's a lesson learned. I'm glad I only bought one box, as I certainly don't plan to buy this type of Rice pasta again!

1 comment :

Thistlemoon said...

What a terrible experience! But at least now you know not to buy it again! :)

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!