Sunday, January 11, 2009

Farmer's Market Booty


Yesterday's trip to the farmer's market was a rewarding adventure. While I don't have a large bounty, I think the small purchases made are packed full of punch.

On my last trip to the farmer's market, I was disappointed that my usual honey vendor was absent. There is another booth that sells honey, but it's not to my tastes or budget. I went to two other farmer's markets that day in hopes that my honey would be found somewhere, but to no avail. At the sight of the Reed Family Honey booth at the farmer's market, I filled with excitement. And that excitement led me to come home with a 3 pound jar of honey! In the past, I could buy a 1 pound jar, and that would easily last months. Now, I must find things to make with honey since I'm loaded with the sweet stuff.

The other exciting, though very unplanned, purchase were some sweet grapefruits. I forget the name the farmer told me--it was something like Sweet Lemonade Grapefruit, but I can't find any evidence of a grapefruit with that name on the Internet. Regardless of what you call them, they are delicious. Biting into one tastes like eating lemonade. They are slightly sweet, with just the right amount of citrus-y sourness that is enjoyable in lemonade. And these guys are gigantic! It's hard to see from the picture, but these guys are each the size of two fists together. Luckily for you, bigger = better in this case, because you'll want to keep eating them. I'm generally not a huge fan of grapefruit, but these could certainly make me a convert.

No comments :