Sunday, January 25, 2009

Gong hei fat choi!

Happy New Year for those of you who celebrate the lunar new year event!

In preparation for the holiday, I spent this weekend attempting to clean my apartment. While there were good intentions, my lack of enthusiasm got the best of me, and I don't have much to show for my work. I do confess, however, that I am not terribly surprised that I didn't get around to all the cleaning I had planned. On the other hand, I did surprise myself a little by not getting to the dumpling-making that I had planned. I thought it would have been fun to make some New Year's foods from scratch, and dumplings are both fun and relatively easy to make.

There is a positive side to my lazy behavior; I realized that by dining out for Chinese New Year I won't have to worry about rushing home from work early, plus I'll have a wider arrangement of yummy things to eat!

This got me thinking about holidays and eating out.. It's interesting to note that there are certain holidays and occasions where it is more appropriate to prepare a feast at home, while on other occasions of equal importance, it is perfectly acceptable to find that feast at a restaurant. Though I'm sure it's not the case for everyone, my family has always considered Chinese New Year to be an appropriate time to eat out. Going out for a Christmas dinner, on the other hand, would feel a bit strange.

The majority of New Year events in Houston seem to be next weekend (or are even in February). While I understand that celebrations can last the whole month, I find the lack of happenings on the actual New Year's day a bit unusual. Luckily for me, I'm actually rather content to mark the occasion of new year's day with food alone. You will find me feasting out and about in Houston at dinnertime tomorrow!



No comments :