Saturday, February 2, 2008

Ginger Experiment

Lately, I've found myself buying a small piece of ginger root and having it go bad before I get to use it all. To prevent this from happening in the future, I had the idea to freeze it. By freezing it, I would be able to have access to ginger without having to run to the store or finding that my stash had gone bad. It's probably not a very original idea, but I've never done it before and haven't heard of anyone doing it with ginger, specifically.

Before freezing, I peeled it then minced it to the normal size I use. Then I split it out into sections of an ice cube tray and compressed each "cube" of ginger. I debated whether or not to use a little bit of water to ensure that it would stay in cubes, but decided I would just try it this time without adding the water. So then I covered it in plastic wrap and stuck it in the freezer. Next time I get the urge to use ginger, I'll be prepared!

Not the best picture, but want to illustrate anyhow:

No comments :