Saturday, February 23, 2008

Lemonades


Yes, that "s" is meant to be there. Feeling a little nostalgic, and also slightly peer-pressured, I was suckered into buying Girl Scout Cookies today. It has been years since I've had the things, and the cuteness of the "Lemonades" caught my eye.

There was only one box of Lemonades left. The Brownie offered me a sample. They were shaped like little slices of lemon. They tasted like a little lemon-y fresh slice of goodness. Having a small taste of the cookie made me a customer! I was left wanting more of this shortbread deliciousness dipped in lemon icing. Who knew first graders could be so strategic with their selling tactics?

Lemonades have only been around since 2007, so that explains part of my curiosity--I had never seen them before. In fact, I don't remember the last time I bought Girl Scout cookies. I do, however, have very fond memories of pigging out on Caramel deLites and Thin Mints in my younger years. I worked at a Girl Scout Summer camp for a few years, and we had a seemingly-endless supply of the cookies back then.

As cute as the cookies are, and as much as I'd like to support troops of Girl Scouts, I have to go into a bit of a rant about these cookies. It seems like an organization that has such great impact on the lives of thousands of girls across the country should be a little more conscientious about the ingredients in their product.

In the days when I would eat scores of cookies without remorse, I had never heard of trans fats. Therefore, it was a bit sad, upon returning home with my newly acquired Lemonades, that I realized they are made with partially hydrogenated oil. One semi-redeeming factor is that they don't contain High Fructose Corn Syrup [like my old favorite "Caramel deLites" cookies]. Would Juliette Low or the creators of "Girl Scout Cookies" approve of today's manufacturing methods?

I think that next time I support the Girl Scouts, I'll let them keep the cookies.



And for fun, here is the original 1922 recipe for Girl Scout Cookies:

1 cup butter, or substitute
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
Sugar, for sprinkling on top

Cream butter and the cup of sugar; add well-beaten eggs, then milk, vanilla, flour, salt, and baking powder. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Roll dough, cut into trefoil shapes, and sprinkle sugar on top, if desired. Bake in a quick oven (375°) for approximately 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.

Makes six- to seven-dozen cookies.


No comments :